Alpharetta DUI Attorney
Do you need an Alpharetta DUI attorney? Driving under the influence (DUI) is a serious offense, and Georgia state laws impose strict penalties for DUI convictions.
If you or a loved one face a conviction for DUI in the Alpharetta area, you should understand the potential penalties and how a reliable and experienced attorney can help. Contact Mitnick & Associates today to schedule a consultation with an Alpharetta DUI attorney.
Why Hire an Alpharetta DUI Attorney?
After a DUI arrest, you will go to the appropriate police station for the booking process. Depending on the severity of the offense, you may have permission to go as soon as you are sober or need to wait in jail until your arraignment.
While most public defenders are fantastic attorneys, they take many cases at a time and simply cannot devote the same level of personalized attention that a private defense firm can offer. Mitnick & Associates have more than 25 years of combined experience handling criminal defense in Georgia and strive to provide comprehensive, individualized attention to every case we take.
Depending on your past criminal history and any prior records of DUI convictions, you may have less flexibility in sentencing than a first-time offender. Your Alpharetta DUI attorney could potentially convince a judge to agree to diversionary sentencing, such as mandatory completion of drug and alcohol counseling and/or rehab in lieu of jail time and community service instead of fines.
Your Alpharetta DUI Attorney Can Help You Avoid Severe Penalties
Every state in the country takes DUI very seriously and imposes strict penalties for violations. In Georgia, the penalties increase for consecutive offenses, and different types of DUI convictions entail different penalties:
- Fines. Georgia imposes fines of $300 to $1,000 for first-time DUI convictions. A second offense could entail fines from $600 to $1,000, and a third offense can lead to fines of $1,000 to $5,000.
- Jail time. First-time DUI convictions in Georgia may lead to jail time from ten days to one year, depending on individual case factors. A second offense generally leads to 90 days to one year in prison, and a third offense entails 120 days to one year in prison.
- Community service. A first-time DUI conviction in Georgia entails 20 hours of community service unless the offender had a BAC over .08%, in which case the offender should expect to complete at least 40 hours of community service. For second and third offenses, offenders should expect to complete at least 30 days of community service.
- Mandatory classes. Some DUI offenders will need to enroll in and complete drug and alcohol education courses or driver safety courses.
- Ignition interlock devices (IIDs). Some convicted DUI offenders, particularly repeat offenders, will need to have IIDs installed in their vehicles upon reinstatement of driving privileges. These devices require the driver of a vehicle with an IID to blow into a breathalyzer device before the vehicle will start. If the breathalyzer detects any alcohol, it will prevent the car from starting for several hours and log an incident report in an internal computer.
- Loss of driving privileges. A DUI conviction usually leads to loss of driving privileges. A first offense usually leads to a one-year driver’s license suspension, but the offender may petition for reinstatement after 120 days with the completion of a DUI education course. License suspension is a minimum of three years for a second offense, and permanent revocation occurs after a third DUI conviction within three years.
- Mandatory substance abuse treatment. DUI offenders who display signs of alcoholism or other substance abuse disorders may have the option to accept treatment as an alternative to jail time, depending on individual circumstances.
A DUI conviction can lead to serious penalties and jeopardize your ability to get to work and manage daily responsibilities. An experienced Alpharetta DUI attorney can help you mitigate your sentence if possible and help navigate you to a reasonable result. If you need legal representation after a DUI arrest, contact Mitnick & Associates at 770-408-7000 to schedule a consultation with an Alpharetta DUI attorney to start building your defense.
Mitnick & Associates is a multigenerational family-owned law firm representing clients throughout Alpharetta, Cumming, surrounding areas in Georgia with various types of civil and criminal cases. We understand the legal process is daunting. We strive to provide our clients with comprehensive, professional, and compassionate legal representation. If you or a loved one recently experienced a personal injury, car accident, or an injury from a drunk driver, contact Mitnick & Associates today to schedule a consultation with an Alpharetta personal injury attorney.
Why Hire Mitnick & Associates?
If you need a personal injury lawyer in the Alpharetta area, Mitnick & Associates has the experience, skill, and resources to help guide you to the best result possible.
- We have more than 25 combined years of experience with the law and put the full scope of our resources at the disposal of every client we represent.
- Our firm takes pride in our versatility. We have experience with various types of civil and criminal cases and the capability to represent a wide range of clients.
- In every case we take, our goal is to maximize our client’s recovery and provide the highest possible standard of legal representation.
- We believe in close, personalized legal counsel and will take time to get to know you and your situation.
The right attorney can make a significant difference in the outcome of any legal matter. Mitnick & Associates can help you better understand your legal options in a variety of situations.
Cases We Take
Mitnick & Associates offers representation to clients facing various types of legal issues. Some of our main practice areas include:
- Criminal defense. If you or a loved one face a criminal charge, we can help secure exculpatory evidence or explore possibilities for alternative diversionary punishments in lieu of jail time and heavy fines for some offenses.
- Family law. Our attorneys have extensive experience with all aspects of Georgia family law, including child custody agreements, child support enforcement, divorce negotiation, prenuptial contract drafting, adoption, and more.
- Personal injury. If you suffered an injury due to another party’s negligence, you have a legal right to seek compensation through a personal injury lawsuit. We can help you determine the viability of your case and the potential compensation you could recover if you win.
- Bankruptcy. If you and your family are facing bankruptcy and financial turmoil, we can help you navigate the bankruptcy filing process and explore potential remedies.
Facing any type of legal situation can be stressful without the right legal counsel. The attorneys at Mitnick & Associates can help you determine your best options no matter what your legal issue.
Things to Know About Hiring an Attorney
At Mitnick & Associates, we believe in ensuring maximum recovery for our personal injury clients and solid defense for our criminal defense clients. Depending on the type of legal situation you face, there are certain things to keep in mind when it comes to hiring legal counsel.
When hiring a defense attorney, you should remember your rights following arrest and refrain from speaking to the police until you secure legal representation. Even if you have faced a wrongful arrest or the police accuse you of a crime you did not commit, take advantage of your right to remain silent until your attorney arrives to help you.
Many people mistakenly believe that hiring an attorney is essentially a tacit admission of guilt, but this is simply untrue. Many law enforcement departments and courts attempt to rush convictions, and missteps following arrest have led to many innocent people spending time behind bars unjustly. Waiting for your attorney before speaking to the police or other investigators is the best way to protect your rights.
Find Reliable Legal Counsel Today
If you suffered a personal injury and need to file a lawsuit against a negligent party, our attorneys will help you navigate the legal process. Contact Mitnick & Associates today to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys. Find us at 770-408-7000. Once we have the details of your situation, we can help you understand your options for legal recourse and explain how our firm can help.