Minor in Possession
Providing Tough Defense for Juveniles
If you are a minor that has been charged with possession of alcohol or drugs, then you may be facing serious consequences. You probably have many questions about the future, such as:
- What penalties will I be facing?
- Will my record be permanent?
- Will a conviction affect my future job and college applications?
At The Law Offices of Daniel W. Mitnick & Associates, P.C., our Alpharetta juvenile attorneys can explain possible outcomes and guide you through the court process. When you come to us for help, we work relentlessly to find the best possible defense for your situation. We care about your future and will do everything we can to obtain a positive outcome.
Defense Strategies for MIP
Fortunately, Georgia law provides some relief for minors who were arrested for possession of alcohol or drugs. One of these is a pre-trial diversion. If you have no further incidents for 6 months to 1 year, depending on your charges, then you may be adjudicated not guilty. In addition, you may get your record expunged and will not lose your license. Another tactic may be to try and find an error in police procedure, such as illegal search and seizure.
Georgia Laws for Underage Possession
According to O.C.G.A. § 3-3-23(a), here are the laws involving possession of alcohol for any under 21:
- No person should knowingly give an alcoholic beverage to a minor
- No minor should buy or attempt to buy or possess an alcoholic beverage
- No minor should misrepresent his or her age to obtain an alcoholic beverage
- No person should buy an alcoholic beverage on behalf of a minor
- No minor should misrepresent their identity to obtain an alcoholic beverage
The only exceptions to this rule are minors that consume alcoholic beverages for a religious ceremony, medical purposes (with doctor’s prescription), or in the home with parental or guardian consent and while they are present.
Contact a Juvenile Defense Attorney in Alpharetta
Need to find a good attorney that can defend your MIP charges? Call The Law Offices of Daniel W. Mitnick & Associates, P.C. for defense that you can trust. Our Alpharetta criminal defense attorneys have successfully defended numerous clients charged with minor in possession. Be sure to contact our legal team before it’s too late! We offer a free phone consultation for any who are interested.